Our Family

Our Family
"These are the children God has graciously given to me. (us)" - Genesis 33:5

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Results

I had my GI appointment today to get my results from the anitbody test. According to this GI normal results are under 19...I was a 5. Having said that, he felt that we were all set and I shouldn't worry about it since I don't "appear" to have any symptoms. Considering that almost any mother of two young children could look down the list of symptoms and start ticking off everyother one as a "yup, had/have that one", it's a wonder that we don't see every single mom tested for it. Every piece of research I have read has stated that false negatives and false positives CAN occur. If that is the case then why wouldn't he test me further since I have a confirmed case of Celiac's in my son??

So, I showed my GI the fancy, smancy medical diagnosis that Ethan's GI Pedi gave us. (At the time Ethan's doc. felt it might be handy for us to have it so that any other GI doc would "know" what to do to look for it in us. Thank goodness he did!) Suddenly, he asked me again what symptoms I've recently had in my lower GI...(not gonna bore ya with the details :), and then said that we might as well do the scope then. I felt like I was coming off as a hyperchondriac!! (no laughing!) I mean, it's not that far out of the realm of possibilities since my son has it.

Anyway, he then goes on to tell me about the procedure and I thought to ask about the meds. I would be taking and their affects on breast milk as I am still nursing Joshua who is going to be 8 months old. He said I may have to "pump-n-dump" for 24-48 hours! Well, at that rate my little guy may just wean himself, and I'm pretty sure we aren't quite ready for that. Plus, he won't take a bottle anymore, and with all of the medical and food costs already accumulating, we certainly don't want to add formula bills on to that total! (no offense to those of you out there who bottle feed your children!)

So, we are at an impasse.

Mike and I talked about it, and although I'm going to schedule my procedure for now, we are hoping to get Mike's results back before that. If he's positive then I will wait on my appt. until such time as we are done having children. In the mean time I will just go gluten free with the rest of the family. If I feel better and notice that gluten bothers me after being off of it for awhile, then I'll know...albeit without a technical diagnosis. I just don't think I'm willing or ready to cut my poor little guy off from not only one of his sources of important nutrition, but also the precious little time we have to bond together as only a mother and child can do. My time with him like this is so short I'd hate to lose that sooner than we must.

No comments: