Our Family

Our Family
"These are the children God has graciously given to me. (us)" - Genesis 33:5

Monday, March 13, 2006

Issues

As I had stated in a previous blog, Ethan's gluten free diet lifestyle seemed to be stable...at least in the weight gain department. Well after weighing him on Friday, it doesn't seem to be the case. He had lost one pound in a week's time. So, being a panicked mother I started calling his doctors, because as you all know, he can't afford to lose any weight. I finally touched base with his pedi. GI, Dr. Russell, and we have an appt. this coming Friday to meet not only with him, but with his specialized nutritionist. We have to find some sort of high calorie nutrition drink or foods for Ethan. Dr. Russell agreed that he can't be losing weight, so he wants to see him so he can feel Ethan's tummy and take a look at him. Maybe something else is going on. All I know is that his appetite has gone down hill again, along with his behavior. Some days are better than others. For instance on Friday we left him with his Uncle Dan and Auntie Lori while I brought Mike to the hospital for his endoscopy. (no results yet, but he did fine! What a trooper!:) From what I understand he was a little eating machine. He had two bowls of mac. and cheese, 3/4 of a turkey dog, pirate booty, veggie booty, tings, fruit, etc. But then on Saturday, not so good.

Now I know that a lot of that sounds like typical toddler/preschooler behavior...but it's also a symptom of eating problems associated with Celiac Disease. Plus, now that he weighs only 23.5 lbs. he really can't afford to live off the land. For anyone who has children you can understand a mother's worry and concern. We are very lucky that he hasn't become terribly ill, or hospitalized with broken bones etc.

However, after talking with someone who works with children who have sensory input problems, I believe that may be the next issue we'll be facing with Ethan. Not to say my little guy isn't intelligent, he has an amazing vocabulary and quickly picks up any behavior both desirable and undesirable. However, he has an incredibly hard time with focus and attention. Again, sounds like typical behavior, but when combined with a health issue, it's a little more than typical. At least that's how I understand it. Maybe I'm just being a worry wart, or an overreactive mother, but so be it. My child's mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health are of the utmost importance to me, and I will do what I can to provide whatever he needs to be healthy in all areas. After all, it's my job!:)

No comments: