Our Family

Our Family
"These are the children God has graciously given to me. (us)" - Genesis 33:5

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Where Are They??

Howdy all! Happy New Year! Yes, we know it's February...but somehow January came and went while we went about trying to get into the swing of this new year. I'll do my best to be brief, but hey I do have a whole month to catch up on!! :)

In any case...we are all doing just dandy. It has been a whole three years since we started our gluten free journey, and yet we feel like we've been doing it our whole lives. It has become so much a part of us, that I can't imagine ever eating any differently. Our diet, for the most part, has become even healthier than I thought could be possible. Even Mike has commented that he never would have pictured himself eating and drinking the things we do. From gluten free, to casein free, and from gogi berries to amaranth grains, and from multivitamins to DHA fish oils...we are doing our very best to ensure not only the health of our children, but ourselves as well.

My goal this year is to try to incorporate more about our gluten free lives than I have in the past. I think it's important for other families to realize that if (or when) you find yourself having to switch to a gluten free lifestyle, you see that not only can it be done, that it can be done well. We enjoy what we eat. As I mentioned it's quite a bit healthier, but gluten free foods have come a long way even since we started three years ago! We now have restaurants we can eat at, take out food available, and almost every grocery store you walk into now has a gluten free section!

Now, don't think you won't get to see some great pictures of the kiddos, as well as some very funny video clips...you should see the stock pile I have! I know that most people probably click on here just to see the pix of the kids...and why not...they are pretty darn cute if I do say so myself!! It's more that I want others who visit this blog, who are gluten free, get a sense of security in knowing that others have walked the path they are now on and have survived it. Trust me, there are far worse foods out there as you know, that people can die from if they eat them...that gluten, to me, is a walk in the park! As with any kind of change, it can be difficult, scary, and intimidating not knowing where to start or how dedicated to it you have to be...but it's always nice to know someone else who has gone through it, and come out on the other side alright...a little banged up...but alright! :)

As for the other issues in our family...Asperger, SI Dysfunction, and Stuttering/Speech Delay and Developmental Delays...I'm sure I'll be getting into more of that to. It has become so much a part of our lives, that a lot of times I just forget it's even there. Ethan is Ethan...Aspy or not. But the roads he has led us down have taught Mike and I some valuable lessons. We are not the same people we were 6 years ago when we brought that little babe home. Which can be said for any parents out there. Our path is just a little different. I think I've steered away from talking about some of it simply because I didn't want to "deal" with what others would think, or how they would respond. I've had my fair share of cruel comment posts, and I'll admit it has made me a little gun shy with regards to some of the stuff I'm willing to write. I'm hoping that now I have a thicker skin and am able to shake off or take on whatever comes my way. (Something Ethan has taught me.) Tomorrow is another day...one with a whole new beginning.

Having said all that...now that we have been able to get a whole month of therapy for the boys under our belts, I find our weeks a little more predictable. I'm hoping to get here to post more pictures and stories of our days about therapy, homeschooling, activities, and the general goofiness and chaos of having 5 children under the age of 6! Not every day is a great day, but it's still a day that we have together, and I truly can't imagine any other way to be.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I think of you often and have wondered how things are. I'm glad to hear they are going well! Now, let's see some photos :)

Beth said...

Hi,

What a great blog! Would you consider a post telling all of us in blogging world what you all eat in a typical week? Cute Kiddos!

Thanks,
Beth
www.buildingonthegood.blogspot.com