Our Family

Our Family
"These are the children God has graciously given to me. (us)" - Genesis 33:5

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Nutritionists vs. Registered Dietician's

For those of you who don't know, there is a big difference between the two. Fortunately we had the latter one today and she was very nice. I asked her what the difference was and she told me that anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, but to be a R.D. you need a bachelor's degree, internship and have to take a state test. I guess it's not to easy to break into the field.

Anyhow, after meeting with our R.D. today Mike and I have come to the conclusion that so far we're doing alright. Mike said that she seemed surprised at how much we already know. Having said that, we certainly don't mean to toot our own horns, but to thank all of the friends and family who have so generously lent us their advice, suggestions, and general info. We felt pretty prepared going into the diagnosis thanks to everyone, and are now convinced that so far we have a pretty good grasp on where we are going.

Most of what she told us I already had photocopied and placed into my trusty binder that I now carry with me...everywhere. It was nice to have everything reiterated. It felt good to know that we weren't going overboard on how to treat this disease. Sometimes I've felt like I'm being to anal, (and for those of you who know me...well you know me) in making sure that we don't have cross-contamination, as well as being picky about the ingredient list and whether or not a product truly is gluten free. However, having several issues with foods herself, she reassured me that what I am doing is absolutely the right way. In the beginning she recommends that you completely go gluten free, no ifs ands or buts. She has a son too, and told me that knowing what she knows now about how foods are processed and changed, and reprocessed and improved, that when it comes to your kids, you can't be too anal. Phew!

On Thursday I will be meeting up with another R.D. who works through Hannaford. She does tours of the store for anyone with any kind of medical condition, even if your just interested in eating better. From what I understand they will be expanding their Natural Foods section due to the amount of products that are being purchased and suggested for future consumption.

We are truly blessed that Ethan's diagnosis was now for several reasons. The first being that the damage done is nothing compared to those of us who have gone 30+ years without a diagnosis. The second is that due to the medical and general public becoming more aware of this condition, the amount of info, foods, support and education is growing in leaps and bounds. Ethan is fortunate that in the future he won't have to learn a healthy lifestyle. He will already be living it through his diet.

Happy Valentine's Day!
-michelle

No comments: