Our Family

Our Family
"These are the children God has graciously given to me. (us)" - Genesis 33:5

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Topics Avoided...by me

Asperger Syndrome
Sensory Integration Dysfunction
Special Education Programs
Individualized Education Plan (IEP)
Potty Training
Behavioral Therapy
Social Schedules/Stories
Why haven't I talked about these topics on my blog??...I'm not really sure.
Maybe it is because of the lack of time to really sit down and process everything that is going on. Maybe it is because once I do start to think about everything I become very overwhelmed. Maybe it is because I want to believe it is all just a "phase" and he'll eventually "grow out of it"
Maybe it is because I just want to cry out "it's not fair" every time he has one of his meltdowns. Maybe it is because I feel so very alone in all of this...most people see a "normal" 4 1/2 yr old. boy...spend a week in my shoes, the view will change.
Well, it's time to change all that! We originally created this blog to record our journey through life with Celiac Disease. Along the way, as our comfort level with managing the diet grew, we began blogging about the rest of day-to-day life. Well our day-to-day living has changed yet again, so along with that change comes whole new topics for us to discover and discuss.
Maybe it will help someone else realize that they aren't alone.
Maybe it will lead others to seek more information into their children's unexplained behaviors.
Maybe it will be therapeutic for me to get some of this stuff off my chest.
Maybe others will be willing to share what has worked for them, or lead us to services that might be helpful for our situation.
Regardless...it is our lives. We are a family, created and blessed by God. Some days I feel like He has given me more than I can handle. But with His help and the help of my loving husband, and close friends I'm beginning to realize that I can handle a lot more than I thought. It is just going to take time and perseverance.
So, welcome to the journey. Be prepared for some bumpy blogs...don't worry...I will still include many, many pictures and stories of the wonderful antics our family provides along the way.

1 comment:

Cheryl Ruffing said...

Michelle,

I recently told a friend that the only way I can deal with the bad stuff is to realize that God has a plan. My daily prayers (mostly daily) also help: "Lord, please help me to bear my burdens well; do Your will; and put my faith and trust in You so I can live without fear, worry and anxiety."

It is hard, but God gave Ethan to you and Mike because He knows you will give Ethan what he needs, and He knows that you can handle what He throws your way.

When I feel overwhelmed, it helps to look at my day/life in terms of baby steps: if I've accomplished anything at all (i.e. emptied the dishwasher, read stories to Sam or taken a shower), I acknowledge the fact that I've made progress.

You're one of my best friends, girl, and you're doing a great job.