Our Family

Our Family
"These are the children God has graciously given to me. (us)" - Genesis 33:5

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Powerful Virus

A little over two weeks ago, our family came down with some sort of virus. You know the one...cough, runny nose, irritability, cranky, fussy, and tired.

Well, Josh got the worst of it. He ended up with a moderate fever for most of the first week. It got to the point where it spiked up to 104 degrees and he was brought into the ER for a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia.

A little bit scary...for me because I couldn't go with him. Not because I don't trust my husband with him...far from it...but he's my baby and I wanted to be with him. Unfortunately the ER isn't the place for healthy infants, so I stayed behind. The good news is they came home with a positive report that his lungs looked fairly healthy. That was Wednesday the 28th of Feb. However, if his fever persisted through Saturday we were to come back in to have him evaluated again.


Well, needless to say, the fever went away Friday night, but the cough persisted. My poor little guy was just exhausted from coughing so much. He was falling asleep where ever he could. Well, at least where Ethan wasn't around. (Thank God for that train set upstairs!)


I wasn't too worried yet, because the fever left, and from past experience I knew coughs could hang around for weeks. Plus, for those of you who know Joshua, he can be...well...irritable and ornery whether he's sick or not. Makes it a little tough to tell the difference between not feeling well, and just being ornery!


We knew something was up though when he didn't even want the camera around. Mike couldn't get him to smile for anything!

So, on we went into the following week with a very irritated boy. Not to mention that for anyone who has either had a bad cough or been around someone 24/7 who has a bad cough, you know how irritating it becomes for the non-cougher to constantly hear that sound. Needless to say I was becoming quite irritated myself with the endless cough. Then you add in "mother's guilt" because I was also losing my compassion...it was a very long illness...and it was only going to get worse!

No comments: