Our Family

Our Family
"These are the children God has graciously given to me. (us)" - Genesis 33:5

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Just A Number

To some people numbers mean everything. It can mean the difference between success or failure. They can be used to define young milestones in life...like the Terrible Two's or the Trying Threes. They can be used to define older milestones in life...like Over The Hill or The Golden Years. Numbers are used everyday in our lives to help mark the beginning or end of something.

To a teenager the numbers 16, 18 and 21 mean the beginning of EVERYTHING, and to those in their early 20's the numbers 30, 40 and so on, can mean the end of EVERYTHING as they know it.

I've been very fortunate. My age has never really meant anything to me...okay, okay so maybe 21 did, but I'm not going to get into THAT part of past right now!! :) What I mean is, age doesn't bother me. I remember turning 30 and not feeling that dread that everyone leads you to believe you'll feel so that you'll forever tell everyone your 29. I celebrated the day with an awesome surprise party and loved every minute of it, but didn't shed a tear because I left my 20's behind.

I remember a conversation I had with a friend in college about our future...you know the one...who are we going to marry, how many kids are we going to have, where are we going to live, what is it we will be doing "x" amount of years from now. I can honestly say that none of what I thought was going to happen actually happened the way I thought it would. It has become something even better.

I had said that I wanted to be married in my 20's to the man who would be my best friend through every thing...and I have.

I had said that regardless of how many children I had, I wanted to be done by the age of 35...and technically I have conceived all 6 of my kids before the age of 35.

I had said that I wanted to remain in New Hampshire or at least New England...and although Manchester isn't exactly where I wanted to be IN the state, I'm happy to call it my home.

And I had said that in "x" amount of years I wanted to be able to look back on my 20's and smile with fond memories, not sadness for youth lost. I'm happy to say I can.

I am happy to say that I will be 35 years old tomorrow and even though my first 35 years have had their shares of trials and tribulations I wouldn't trade any of it because without them I wouldn't be where I am today...happily married 10 years to my best friend, raising 5 little ones while expecting our 6th, and experiencing all the joys that only a 3o-something year old can enjoy!

2 comments:

Cammie said...

Very nicely said Michelle :) Happy Birthday dear friend, hope you have a wonderful day! Love you :)

Cheryl Ruffing said...

Happy Birthday, Michelle. I hope you had a great day.