Our Family

Our Family
"These are the children God has graciously given to me. (us)" - Genesis 33:5

Thursday, May 28, 2009

I Strongly Dislike Rainy Days

Why would some one dislike rainy days so much as to use the words "strongly dislike" in the sentence? Well, there are a couple of reasons.

The first reason has to do with the wording. We have encountered an over use of the word "hate" in our house and I've had enough. It's one of those things where I never realized how much I said that word, until I started to hear it coming out of Ethan's mouth. And when I hear him say the word "hate" I feel myself cringe at the sound of it. I'm not sure why. Is it really any better than the words "strongly dislike" or "loathe"? No, I guess not. I think it's more about what it really represents. It's like saying "shut up" instead of "be quiet". They both mean the same thing no matter what tone they are said in...but some how "shut up" seems much more powerful and mean. Which is where I stand with the word "hate". It just sounds mean. See how many times a day you throw that word around. Mike and I have been caught several times now by the "hate" police...namely Ethan...with an "Exxxcuuuuuse me? We don't say that word!" from him. He's much better at enforcing the rules rather than following them...aren't they all? :)

As for the dislike of the rainy day...is it me or do all children go bonkers on rainy days??? Oh my goodness. Couple that with various sensory issues, serious lack of space in ever shrinking house, and two very cranky, noisy babies...and I'm afraid I'm going to crack! It has been so crazy here, that not only did they lose their quiet time movie of choice...Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but they also lost ALL of the toys in their playroom!! Mostly because they decided to have a "pick a corner and lets see how many toys we can chuck at each other until someone cries" game. Good times...and for the record it was about 10 legos and Rebekah was the one who went down. AHHHHHHHH!!!

So, how is it I got this much "free" time to type the post? Well, Bekah is sleeping off the "lego war", Josh has taken up his nap time post at the table, Ethan has been banished to the couch until I deem quiet time is officially over, and the babies are yelling at me from their respective bumper jumpers! Yup, it's a "beautiful day in this neighborhood...won't you be my neighbor?" :)

2 comments:

Cheryl Ruffing said...

No thanks, Michelle. I don't want to be your neighbor. Our rainy days here in Maine have put my kids and me in the same sort of mood as your kids and you. Just this morning, I got out of bed (at 5:30, ugh) and thought to myself, "Did I ever actually think that living in Seattle would be a good thing?"

I know exactly what you mean about "hate" and "shut up." I can tolerate many words that come out of my kids' mouths, but "shut up" is never acceptable.

Cammie said...

I feel your pain Michelle! I think all children lose it on rainy days. Oh, and having two children in the house about the same age as Bekah and the twins I hear you on the being "ON" the babies. Ana is constantly steamrolling Stevie and doesn't get the concept that she can lay NEXT to him! Arrgh!! Anyways, hate used to be known as "the H word" and shut up as "the SH word" until he started riding the bus and knows the real ones. Unfortunately being a first grade bus rider has provided him with quite an education in the swear department! Both words are still a serious "no no" in our house though!