Our Family

Our Family
"These are the children God has graciously given to me. (us)" - Genesis 33:5

Monday, April 20, 2009

Baby Cereal...Not Just for Babies

We have found this awesome baby cereal for the twins that is one of the only cereals I've found claiming it has not only probiotics but is free of gluten as well. After the amount of antibiotics my little guys have had to be on, I figured it would be a great addition to their diet in keeping their intestines healthy. It is called Happy Bellies and so far the twins love it. I originally found it at Natural Choice Market in Hooksett, but later found that the Babies R Us in Nashua carries it as well, (for $2 less). Because I have twins, we have been going through cereal like it's water, so I've been cutting it with Earth's Best Organic Whole Grain Rice Cereal. They don't seem to notice.

So, why did I say it's not just for babies? Well, Ethan and Joshua had their 3 month check up with Dr. Hofley and had their yearly blood work updated. All the results came back normal except they both showed iron deficiency's as well as Vitamin A deficiency for Josh. So, I met with Ethan's pediatric nutritionist, Trish Murray, and we discussed the many ways we can try sneaking iron into Ethan's diet. He has some oral sensory issues, as well as visual sensory issues that make it impossible to add anything new into his foods. However, he has been showing a great deal of interest in the twins baby food. Trish suggested we take a Tbsp. of the Happy Bellies cereal and mix it with our whole raw milk and have him eat that once a day. So far it's worked. He's not all that thrilled about it after the first 2-3 bites, but thankfully a Tbsp. only gives you about 4-5 bites!

In any case, for those of you who are looking to either supplement some iron in, or find a good healthy, probitotic enriched, gluten free cereal for your babes...I highly recommend Happy Bellies.

No comments: